Haha I'm totally kidding about the title btw, but I hope that grabbed your attention somehow.
The average guy is average looking, makes an average salary and has average taste in Fashion. But he's competing with other guys who have exceptional taste in clothes, and makes a whole lot of money. The fastest way to look good, is to have a stylish wardrobe. I believe if you make the effort and take the time, everyone can look their best given their shape and size. To be honest, women could care less how much your jeans cost guys, and whether it has designer labeled all over it. Unless you're one of those superficial girls! In that case, tsk tsk! Most women don't care about how much you spend, as long as your overall appearance looks good. I think for guys, the main issues are comfort and flexibility. They want to be able to run around in their outfit, and be comfortable. But you can still do this while being stylish I assure you!
So this post is inspired by one of my friends, Kevin. A little over awhile ago, he had asked me to do some shopping for him. Yes you heard it. Shopping. Now it wasn't shopping for gadgets, a gift, or even books. It was for clothes! If you actually personally knew Kevin, you would rarely hear of the word shopping, and his name in the same sentence. Well, you all know how I love to shop. Can you consider it to be one of my favorite past times? Sure! I had a budget, and I definitely had to stick to it. I started off by asking him what his preferences are, style likes, and dislikes. I got a general idea of what he's into and what not to get, and off I was shopping. I headed to non other than Metrotown, just because it was convenient for me, and I went during the morning to avoid the high school traffic. First stop, Zara. I found this very nicely tailored leather jacket, but unfortunately, they didn't have his size, and it wasn't his style. Did some more looking, but I did not find anything suitable. I believe like women, guys need their basics as well. *Key is to shop for pieces that you could pair up with other things in your closet to achieve different looks. And, always visit stores you wouldn't normally go to! Because you might find some great deals. I eventually found a couple of things, and here's the breakdown of what I got, and what I believe are necessary to every guy's closet. (Will try to bug him for pictures sometime soon! Haha.)
- Outerwear: I found this very reasonably priced cargo jacket in a Taupe color by Heritage 1981, Forever 21. I believe it was around $35? It's definitely very versatile. Pair it with a tee and jeans and you're ready to go. Or if you're looking for a more dressy look, change the tee up to a dress shirt, and dark-washed jeans for a night out, or a date.
- Sweaters: Argyle! Okay, this style might not work for everyone, just because it gives off that very preppy/smart vibe.. But I managed to snag a bargain for this one at $19 from Latitude if I'm not mistaken (Note: This was awhile ago, so I'm just estimating the prices.) It's suited for a dressier outfit, but hey, everyone needs a sweater. Besides, the color on it was fresh. Also found a striped one in blue and white.
- Hoodies: This was by far, the best deal of the day. Now everyone always thinks Old Navy is a place with cheap clothes and quality-wise, not the best out there. I concur.. but to some extent. I've found great deals at this place over the years. I do agree though, that some of their stuff is not quite on par with it's quality, and I personally wouldn't purchase them, but if you look well enough, you just might find something worth getting. I ended up with a $10 plain black hoodie. I actually also found some really great basic tees for $6, but they were sold out of smaller sizes.
Now with all this being said, those are just some of the pieces I managed to purchase that day. They were all tops, because I wasn't looking for bottom pieces that day. You gotta start with a solid foundation of basics, and build from there. My complete list of Basics for guys would be ..
- Dark-wash Denim Jeans
- Plain Tees in Blue, Black, White or Grey
- Dress pants
- Button-up dress shirt
- Well-tailored suit
- Black shoes and Black belt
Everyone can look good. It's whether you make the effort to or not. Some may be more fashion-forward than others, but that's okay. Everyone's different. I shall try and update this post with pictures sometime soon.. hopefully lol. So if you ever need me to do any shopping for you.. holla!